This weekend, I picked up our first CSA box of organically grown fruits, vegetables, and herbs for the season. What was in my box? Here is the list.
- Two quarts strawberries
- A bunch of mint
- A large bunch of purple kale
- A large bunch of green kale
- A large bunch of collards
- A medium head of green cabbage
- A bag of various loose leaf lettuce
- Two stalks with multiple heads of broccoli
First, we used some of the lettuce for salad Saturday night, and I used more of it for a salad at lunch today. There is more lettuce yet to use.
I washed, topped, and sliced the first quart of strawberries last night, and we have eaten those with cereal in the morning and with ice cream for dessert after meals. Tonight, I used some of the purple kale with organic frozen corn and fresh organic green onions to make the following recipe.
I was surfing the Internet looking for new recipes to use items in the CSA box, and I came across a recipe by Just the Tip. I didn’t have any leeks; I even to the store, and they were sold out. I wasn’t going to make the recipe, but as I read over it, I saw things that I would modify and do differently. Then it came to me that a leek is in the onion family. I got some green onions and modified the recipe to suit myself, coming up with my own version of a fritter recipe. Here is what I used and how I made the fritters pictured. I thought they were pretty good.
Corn, Kale, and Green Onion Fritters
Ingredients (use all organic if at all possible):
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups fresh (or thawed frozen) corn
- 2 cups finely chopped, firmly packed kale
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or olive oil, plus more for frying the fritters, unless you choose to use butter (be careful, butter burns quickly)
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 – 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Lemon for garnish (optional)
- Sauté green onions in oil, and add kale to pan to wilt during the last minute or two. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, milk, eggs (beaten), salt, and pepper.
- Add the green onions, kale, and oil from skillet in which they were cooked, and stir to combine.
- Finally, add corn to batter and stir.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Drop about 1/4 cup batter per fritter into the hot skillet, adding more oil, or butter, as needed to keep fritters from sticking.
- Cook until fritters begin to bubble and are browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes, then flip and cook until the other side is golden, 1 or 2 minutes longer.
- Drain on paper towel on plate as each is removed from the skillet.
- Keep cooking in batches.
Serve warm with a little squeeze of lemon if desired.
If you have any fantastic recipes that uses the items listed in this week’s CSA box, please feel free to share ASAP.